Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Things to Make: Craft Fair Hat Stand!




This post should probably be started with "How-NOT-To Tuesday"...but, since I finally figured out what to do, we'll just pretend that I did everything right from the start!

This project came about because I was trying to figure out how to display my hat's when I go to craft fairs.  I had a couple of styrofoam heads that I had mod-podged with scrapbook paper, so that they looked more finished, but  they were too big to display baby hats on.

One Sunday, the fam and I were watching Hello, Dolly!  ('cause we do stuff like that), and during the scene in the hat shop, I noticed that they had these fantastic hat displays!  (I know.  I'm a total geek.)  They were just these big wooden balls on top of pretty turned-wood poles.  There wasn't anything particularly fancy about them - they were just balls on sticks - and immediately I started thinking about how I could recreate something like that.

Thus, the concept for my hat stand was conceived.  

So....

Here's what I did  (and didn't do.  Tee hee.)

Materials Needed

Large styrofoam balls
A long wooden dowel, cut in three lengths
A wide board for a base
A drill
Wood Glue
Mod Podge
Scrapbook paper





First, cut your dowel to the lengths desired.  I had mine cut to three various lengths as I didn't want my 'heads' to all be at the same height.

Drill holes in the base board, and  a shallow hole in each styrofoam ball.  





Glue the dowels into the base board and allow to dry.  And then paint them if desired.  

Don't glue the styrofoam to the dowels yet!





Here's where the mistakes, er, fun began for me.

See, I opted to purchase the cheaper styrofoam balls...not the pretty smooth type, the kinda rough and crumbly textured ones.  Mistake #1.

Next, I applied Mod Podge and scrapbook paper to one of the balls.  It soaked it in, and the paper wouldn't stick. At all.

I decided to try a different approach I thought I might be able to wrap the balls in yarn...but they were so big that I used almost an entire skein of yarn to cover just one....Not to mention, the fact that the flaky styrofoam was getting everywhere!!!  Mistake #2.

So, I unwound the yarn...because I just couldn't justify using all my yarn up like that!!  

My next thought was that I could get away with painting the balls.  So I did.  And the paint soaked right in.  And the styrofoam was still crumbly...Mistake # 3.

After allowing the paint to dry (overnight, of course, since the styrofoam was virtually a paint sponge...sheesh)  I tried my last desperate approach.  

I dipped the scrapbook paper in water.  Then I spread Mod Podge onto the strips.  This made the paper more pliable, and easier to smooth down onto the surface of the blasted stryofoam balls.  AND IT WORKED.

After my Mod-Podged/Paper Machéd balls were completely dried, I glued them onto the top of the dowels.  SUCCESS!!!

Here's what the finished hat stand looks like.  

And with it's other two friends.

And here's a really terrible shot from the Craft Show I did on Saturday.




SO....?

My advice for you, if you are going to try this little project out is:

#1 - If you are going to do this spring for the smooth styrofoam balls.  You'll thank me.

#2 - Wrapping balls in yarn is super cute...for a much smaller project.

#3 - Just use homemade paper maché paste (a little flour and water) to adhere your paper to your ball with, instead of wasting using up half a bottle of Mod Podge.  Just use the Mod Podge to seal the ball when you're done.

Good Luck and Happy Crafting!!!

Photobucket

13 comments:

Rachel said...

Also! I'm starting something new on my blog--every week, I pick a "blog crush of the week" and put their button on my sidebar . . . this week, I have a crush on you :-) (Well, I always have, but this week, the whole world will know . . . yes, THE ENTIRE WORLD will read my blog and see you in the sidebar there, I'm sure!) Anyway, congrats to you :-)

amanda j said...

Bwahahahaha! Sorry, Sarah! But at least the rest of us get a little laugh at your expense! :D

Rebecca said...

I LOVE this idea! I was using one of those large Bratz doll heads (you know, the ones little girls like to put make up on)...but I think this is a much better idea, as some "homegrown momma's" are a little offended by the Bratz doll. This is much more in keeping with the "natural vibe" I try and stick to. :)

Amy @ frillsandbils.blogspot.com said...

I love the colors! Cute!

Andrea said...

This is a great idea (thanks for the mess-ups to show us the real way!).
Andrea
www.addicted2tutes.blogspot.com

Tru@TRU TALES FEATS said...

Visiting from Someday Crafts. That is a great idea!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

So smart! I never would have thought of making these myself.

Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday!

Dizzy Button said...

Great idea! Thank you for the tutorial!

Candice said...

Thank you so much for this! I found a newborn styrofoam head if you are interested! http://www.littlegirlmart.​com/item_527/Infant-Styrof​oam-Head.htm It's more a baby size, not newborn. But I love it!

Candice said...

How did you get the balls to look so shiney?

Missy Lum said...

I have two craft fairs coming up and have been googling hat displays forever! Finally found this! I was already thinking of the rods and balls but I love how you had them all different sizes! I think I'm going to try a longer version! Thank you for this post!!!!

Mary said...

I took the crumbly styrofoam, sprayed with Elmer's CraftBond Spray Adhesive in small spots and put tissue paper over it. Just kept moving in small areas. Once it was finished and dried I sprayed with mod pudge sealer

suncreations-bejeweled said...

i made these balls too. paper mached them with brown paper lunch bags. Painted them borwn and then used future brand acrylic floor wax stuff to seal them. gives it a clear waterproof gloss.a little goes a long way then after gluing the wood dowels into the balls I stuck them in soup cans that I had modge podged with fabric and used some modeling clay from the dollar store in the bottom of the cans. Holds dowels in place the weight of it keeps it from tipping over.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...