Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Things to Make: Refashioned Skirt to Dress Tutorial


I have this skirt.  It is made of the prettiest multi-colored cotton batik fabric.  It's loose and flowy.  I got it for $2 at a local clothing consignment shop.  And it's FRUMPY.

No really.

F. R. U. M. P. Y.

See?


Me.  Frumpy.  And just out of the shower...with no make-up on.  The ultimate before picture.


Sad, huh?

If there's anything a new mommy DOESN'T need it's to feel frumpy.  I mean I already feel frumpy enough...but add this skirt to the mix on a day when I'm supposed to be getting dressed up and looking cute?  Ugh.

So.

Someone told they saw a thing on TV where someone took a big flowy skirt and turned it into a cute dress instead.  Of course I wanted to give it a try!

Here's what I did:

Materials Needed:

Big, flowy, long drawstring skirt
Sewing machine and thread
Scissors

First I draped the skirt around my shoulders and tightened the drawstring to a comfortable neckline length.




Then I marked where I thought a good sleeve length would be...and I cut the skirt.




Next I put on the skirt/dress on and slipped my arms in the armholes.




I put it on inside out, and then I used safety pins and pinned the dress where I thought it should be taken in.




I sewed along the pins.




Then cut the excess fabric away.




I pinned the first side to the opposite side as a template; sewed and cut away the excess fabric.




I decided not to hem around the arms...I kinda like the frayed look of the fabric...so I just sewed round the armholes a couple of times, so the fraying wouldn't get out of hand!

I added a belt,  put on my make-up and and did my hair...

And voilá!

AFTER





A cute NON-FRUMPY dress made out of awesome multi-colored fabric...that I can still nurse in, thanks to the drawstring neckline!!  Plus it only took 10 minutes and cost $2!  Can't beat that!





WOOT!
Photobucket

31 comments:

Nicole said...

a non-frumpy dress - yes!

looks really good.

Nicole

Kristen (by the book paper) said...

Wow! That is a completely amazing transformation, and you look great in it! Great job!!

Sunshine Mama said...

Oh Sarah, that is so pretty! Your end result is anything but frumpy-love it!

Rachael @ The Little Birdie said...

Awesome!! What a great transformation, totally non-frumpy! :)

Rachel said...

That dress looks awesome on you! Now I won't be skipping past the "frumpy" skirts at Goodwill!

Sinister Soaps said...

Awesome! I've got a really long layered lace skirt. I wonder if I could get away with doing that with two layers if fabric.... hmmm.

Shirley said...

wow, that looks great, Sarah! awesome tutorial! :)

Heather said...

That turned out super cute!

Crystal Cook said...

Holy cuteness!! That is so amazing! Seriously I can't believe that you made THAT cute, sassy dress out of THAT very frumpy skirt. I love it. Wish I was crafty like that. :)

Jess said...

wow-zers! I wish I could sew...that looks very cutey on you lovely:)

Lazy Mondays said...

That is amazing! I can't believe you made that look so cute! I am now on the hunt for a long frumpy skirt to transform :)

Amanda @ The Little Giggler said...

It looks great!! You did an awesome job!

Madison said...

How smart and creative! I would have never thought to use the drawstring for the neckline! I would have cut off the bottom and used the fabric to make a bodice (which I then would have sewn to the skirt), but that would have been so much more work. Your way is better, and it looks so cute on you! Great refashion. :)

The LadyBugs Garden said...

I love this..It is a cheap way to make summer dresses..Thrift shopping...
Stephanie

elizabeth said...

LOVE this refashion!!!! It totally looks like you bought it that way!!!

Eunora said...

Wow! I am impressed! This turned out so cute.

Mallory said...

I found your blog from Someday Crafts. Super cute dress!! Great work!

Christy said...

Adorable!! I am glad you showed pics of each step because I was having trouble picturing what you were doing!

Jordan McCollum said...

Cute! I have a similar cream skirt that might work for just that. Thanks for sharing!

Shannon @ sillygeesedesigns said...

I love it! I skip past alot of long skirts because, well I am short and they are long:D Now I'll rethink it.

Megan said...

I can't believe you basically just eyeballed the making of that dress! I tend to freak out when I don't have a pattern to follow. You did a fabulous job un-frumping that skirt!!

Andria said...

That dress is so pretty, I can't believe what a make-over that is. You are amazing--and look it too!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

Such a great redo! I featured this on my blog tonight :) Thanks so much for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday. Come check it out and grab a button! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/10/your-whims-wednesday-27-and-features.html

Hawthorn said...

This is excellent - and you right - that material was too gorgeous to ignore, what a brilliant remake x

Chapis said...

Great dress and you look great too!!

Beth Huntington said...

This was just what I needed today. I've got a huge frumpy skirt I wanted to make into a dress and this would be perfect! Thanks for posting!
Beth
www.chicenvelopements.wordpress.com

Lisbet said...

Thank you fore shareing! This was very nice! Hello from Norway

Mooberry Farmwife said...

Very cute dress! And, congratulations on the new baby, too! (I am a mama of 8, so I know the joy well!) Thank you for this great tutorial.

The Smiths said...

I love the nursing option! :)

SarahSmile said...

Great job! What a clever idea!!!

Jenifer Harrod said...

That's just really creative. Wow I was just thinking about how I could do this for my little girl with my skirt that I really didn't like. This gives me some great ideas. Thanks! come by and see us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...