Thursday, September 9, 2010

Three Sisters

One of my favorite folk songs goes:

"There were three sisters, side-by-side;
Sing aye-day, sing aye-dum..."

It's always had a special place in my heart, as I am the oldest of three sisters myself, but especially as I've had three little girls of my own!

These cute little Matryoshka Dolls came about because I was experimenting with the idea of using sawdust as a stuffing for 'toys'. (We happen to have A LOT of sawdust lying around right now, because of our fence-building project...and as you all know, I hate to let anything go to waste!)

I decided to try my hand at creating a felt doll in the shape of a traditional Matryoshka doll, as the shape lends itself very well to this sort of thing! If you don't know what a Matryoshka is, click here, to find out more them. Obviously these don't open up...but they do have the look of a traditional Matryoshka doll.

Anyway, as I experimented I found that the felt was too porous for the sawdust filling.(Ah, well...I guess the sawdust will just go into out compost pile!)

I didn't want to abandon my creations, though, so I decided I'd finish them up with polyester fiberfil, instead! Each doll is made from simple acrylic felt which is hand stitched with embroidery floss; then stuffed and stitched closed! The embroidery was done before the doll was stitched together...and I decided to make each one 'look' like one of my girls, so they each have different coloring and personalities! A special thanks goes to my Aunt Linda who taught me how to do a Lazy Daisy stitch, a French Knot, and a Blanket Stitch!

The girls love them...especially my youngest who keeps wrapping up all the 'babies' and carrying them all over the house!

I'm going to develop a simplified pattern that I will sell in my Etsy shop...maybe with diminishing sizes of keep looking for that new item! I want to have it up before Christmas time...I can just see a whole bevy of 'sisters' in christmas colors sitting on the mantel!

P.S. This project is entered in this fun contest! Go check it out!


Gramma Joy and Grampa Todd said...

I'm so glad you posted these darling dolls! They are almost as wonderful as your three real-life "dolls" ;o) Are you taking orders yet? (P.S. I love all the new ideas for your site! I'll definitely be checking back again soon!)

Linda said...

I simply must have a set of these for my Maddie to add to her collection. Will I have to make them myself, or are you selling any finished dolls??? SO adorable!

We Joneses said...

Spotted your project via sew dang cute's contest. I've been wanting to make a felt matryoshka doll pillow-- these are adorable and so inspiring! Love it!

janimal said...

I have been thinking about making felt matryoshka dolls! Saw you in the contest entries. These REALLY look lovely. I can't believe that's plain old acrylic felt! Well done.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...