Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Things to Make: Pom-Pom Packaging with Persia Lou

I'm so excited to introduce you to my Guest Blogger this week!  Her name is Alexis from Persia Lou! 

She has a fantastic blog where she features really fun and creative projects and ideas!!  LOVE IT!  She's generously sharing this super fun idea for gift wrap ideas using pretty pom-poms!!   I mean... how seriously cute are these?!?!

Hey there! I'm Alexis from Persia Lou, and I am so excited to be guest posting here at Sarahndipities today! 

Last Christmas, when I began to run low on ribbon, I came up with a fun way to top packages that also uses up some of my yarn stash: pom-poms!

A big pom-pom on top of a gift is fun and a bit unexpected. It adds height and a big shot of color. 

There are many, many different ways to add pom-poms to your packages, but here are a few of my ideas. When attaching one or more pom-poms to a wrapped package, you can simply wrap the yarn around the gift a few times and tie the pom-pom on. Another option is to use a crochet hook to chain a "ribbon" for your gift. (Sarah has some good info on how to make a crochet chain here.)

There are so many great ways to use pom-poms. Don't limit yourself to boxes!

I don't know about you, but I usually keep gift bags I have received and I have TONS stored up. To make a gift bag more unique, you can pull out the original handles and tie it closed with a big pom-pom.

You can also add pom-poms to the end of crochet chain, so the tails of your bow will have little pom-pom punctuation marks.

To add pom-poms to the end of a crochet chain, thread one of the ends of the tails used to tie the pom-pom into a yarn needle. Use the needle to pull the tail through the end of the chain, and then tie the pom-pom to the chain using a double knot.

So. Now you want to make some pom-poms, right? Well, you could buy a pom-pom maker. Or, you could use this technique that only requires yarn, scissors, and your fingers.
  1. Wrap the yarn around four fingers. I find that it helps to start with your fingers a bit spread apart.
  2. Keep wrapping the yarn. The more you wrap the fuller and bigger your pom-pom will be.
  3. Take a piece of yarn about 10-12 inches long. Push one end of the yarn through your middle and ring finger and wrap around the loops of yarn.
  4. Tie a double knot as tight as you can. 
  5. Cut through the loops. Do not cut the longer strings used to tie the pom-pom in step 3. These strings will be used to attach your pom-pom to whatever project you are working on.
  6. Your pom-pom will probably be a bit wild and uneven at this point.
  7. Give your buddy a little trim. The more you trim off, the tighter your pom-pom will be.
  8. Admire your work!
So, how will you use your pom-poms?


 Enjoy making these, everyone!  Super special thanks-again-so much, to you Alexis!  Be sure to send some blog love her way...she totally deserves it!



Jen @ Domesticated Nomad said...

My mom made pom-poms when I was growing up. I haven't thought about them in years! Cute ideas on how to use them.

Yudha Top said...

Suddenly remain me to my grandmother who teach me making pom-pom. :) Nice and simple idea anyway

Melissa said...

Sarah, I nominated you for an award!


Gift Basket said...

Its really something great post. Innovative gift idea. Thanks for sharing.

Product packaging design said...

Packaging is one of the most common examples of design. Apart from displaying the important information, the packaging has become an important sales tool. With the use of illustration, color, typography and even various packaging materials, a beautiful and attractive packaging can boost the selling and stands out from the rack of competitors.
Product packaging design

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...