Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Things to Make: Re-Purposed T-Shirt - Yarn!



For today's tutorial we're doing a slightly different take on the usual T-Shirt makeover!  We're gonna turn that shirt into yarn!!!  Yup.

I've seen several different tutorials on this, and found this one to be the most helpful!

Here's my quick how-to:

Materials Needed:
An old -shirt
Sharp scissors

First, lay your shirt out on a flat surface.






Next, cut the bottom hem (if there is one) and the top of the shirt off just beneath the armpits.  It become a big tube.  

Turn the shirt so that on of the folded edges is on top, with the cut edges on each side. 





 Fold the bottom folded edge up...leaving about a 1 inch 'hem' at the top.






Do that again.






Next, cutting from the bottom, cut 1 inch strips upward to the 'hem'...make sure you don't cut through it!!  






When you're done with that unfold the shirt...it should look something like this:






Next, comes the trickiest part.  Slip your arm through the top 'hem' of the shirt.  






Carefully cut across the shirt from the bottom slit to the SECOND slit on the top, at a diagonal.  (Sorry...this part was really hard to take a picture of!)






Continue across the length of the shirt.  At the end, cut across to the open end of the shirt...Repeat on the first side.  (If you don't cut the end you end up with a big circle!)






Now, you have a big long strip of t-shirt.  Obviously, if you use a shirt without side-seams you're going to end up with a much smoother looking strip...but I actually kinda like the raw seams, etc.






After you've made your strip, stretch the shirt apart...it will kinda roll and pull into a narrower string.  Voilá!






T-Shirt Yarn!!!






Now go make something fun and cool, like this funky loopy scarf.  Here's how:

Take a gigantic crochet hook (like a Speed Hook...this thing is seriously, like, as big around as my thumb...maybe bigger) and crochet a long chain with your new yarn.  






Slip stitch into the first ch on hook.  Finish off.  (You can cut off the ends or leave them hanging down for a funky look.)  

Wear your new creation by twisting it around your neck.  






Add a cute T-Shirt Flower clip or pin to add a little extra flair!  (I made this flower following the basic plan of these flowers, and added a button to the center and some felt leaves as an accent...then I hot-glued it to a hair clip.  Simple!)




Hope you all have fun with this fun new way to use an old shirt!!





Happy Creating!

Photobucket

18 comments:

Lindsay said...

Ahh so creative! Looks very Anthro..ish! I just bought a few old t-shirts at the thrift store today to do a fun little project with as well :)

Delighted Momma

PunkyNoodles said...

love it. i'm sure my hubby has some shirts he wouldn't mind me cutting up ;) i just won't tell him. thanks for sharing !

Walking by Faith said...

You are so creative. I would never think to do this in a million years! Love it!

Come by my blog when you have a chance--you've been given the Versatile Blogger Award! :)

OhioMomPatriot said...

Thank you! This is the best tut I have found to do this! I have want to try it but couldn't make heads or tails of any other's that I read. Thank you so much for sharing!

Pam Emerson said...

Thanks for posting this! It so makes me want to cut up a t-shirt and make some yarn :)

stopping by from My Girlish Whims

radn said...

That looks beautiful!

http://houseonashwelllane.blogspot.com/

Rebecca said...

So creative! I've always wanted to try something like this. :)-Handmaiden Canada-

www.heartfeltmama.blogspot.com

Linda said...

This is too cool. And not as fluffy as yarn. Love it.

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

woah, i never thought of doing this before. really cool idea! :)

Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday!

Rachael @ The Little Birdie said...

Hey Sarah! What a great idea! I've been seeing some fun jersey project out there, but I ALWAYS love the idea of repurposing! I'm featuring your tutorial on my linky party favorites today! :)

Sachiko said...

How fun! This is such a great way to use an old t-shirt, I love it!

Karen @ Goodbyecityhellosuburb said...

I would have never thought to do this- I am all about repurposing- this is a great idea- I would love it if you would like to share it for Workshop Wednesday.

mizdarlin said...

I'm dying to try this, but the part you found difficult to photograph is very unclear..*sob* so guess i'll just stick with the ones I've seen that have you cut forever from bottom to top..although yours looks easier...just can't translate "diagonal' in a way that is clear to me..

nitalinb said...

Fantastic. Thank you. Mizdarlin, just try it on a small t-shirt, or one you don't mind losing. You'll figure it out.

Tina said...

Hi Sarah,

thanks for the manual.

Tina

P.S.: Super cool name for a blog. Brilliant idea.

Lisi said...

Really amaising!!!!!!!!! and easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for sharing it!

nahidworld said...

wow, amazing...
How can it possible...??

I am so much surprised...

Thank you, Sarah.... Many Many thanks for sharing with us.. we always follow you....

from
Stylist T-Shirt Shop

katmal said...

Thank you SO much, I've seen many tutorials on this but haven't been able to work them out. Your tutorial makes it so clear. :-D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...