Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Things to Make: Fingerprint Bunnies and Chicks!!!!





When I was a kid I loved to check out drawing how-to books from the library.  Some of my VERY favorite books were those put out by Ed Emberley. (Click his name to be directed to his fabulous website where you there all sorts of fun activities!!)

He had several book that were based on colors (Big Purple Drawing Book, Big Green Drawing Book, etc.)  He including everything from cute little animals to intricate pirate ships.  I remember pouring over them and drawing all sorts of environments and creatures.

His designs were simple and cartoonish.  But looking back I realize that my ability to see the basic shapes of things, and then turn them into to more realistic drawings stemmed from his simple method of teaching you to draw.  I owe a lot to Mr. Emberley.  Thank you.

He's a genius.   

A few years ago I came across a couple of large compilation-style books that included all of the Ed Emberley drawing books into three volumes.  I snatched them up!  I couldn't wait to share them with my own children!  They have been favorites ever since!

In addition to the other drawing books he also did some color theory books, a book about how use circles to create pictures...and a couple of Fingerprint and Thumbprint drawing books!

So....

Long story short - today I'm sharing how to create the cutest little bunnies from finger and thumbprints, รก la  Ed Emberley!

Materials Needed:
Stamp Ink pads in desired colors
(I used pink and yellow)
Paper or card stock
Marker or pen for details
Fingers and Thumbs
(You may also want to have some wipes handy!)





First, make sure your hands are clean...this may seem silly since you're going to be getting ink all over them, but trust me...you don't want to start this project with sticky fingers!  (Also...remember to use a different finger for each color you use!)




Next, carefully press your finger or thumb onto the ink pad.





Then press the finger or thumb onto the paper.





Now comes the fun part!  Using simple lines and curves add:

Ears & eyes




A nose and whiskers




Paws and tail





Ta-Dah!!


And for a chicks:




Eyes and beaks




Wings and legs





Here's a little finished composition!





This is a FANTASTIC activity for kids of all ages!  They make super cute name tags or place cards, too!!  





For more great ideas on how to make about a bajillion different kinds of creatures check out Ed Emberley's great books!!  You won't regret it!!

Photobucket

P.S.  Don't forget to enter my GIVEAWAY this week!!!

28 comments:

Rachel said...

So cute! I love it! Those books look familiar--I wonder if I checked them out as a kid, too!

Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

Mary said...

Those are just adorable! I saw a fingerprint project like this online. I really want to do something with my little one. We did thunbprint hearts last year for Valentine's Day.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Bethany said...

That's ridiculously adorable!! And so simple--love it!

Emilee said...

These are adorable! I would love to try these with my Daughter except she hates to get messy... Great job with these! ps thanks for stoping over at my blog AND Im your newest follower too!

My Lovebug Baby said...

This is great! I host Easter Brunch every year for my family and am always looking for fun crafts for the older kids. Thank you!

Monika

Katie said...

I loved some of the books you mentioned growing up :) Thanks for bringing me back and for sharing your super cute craft with us!

Lindy said...

We did these when I was a kid. I'm going to find those books and check them out. Thanks for bringing back some great memories. I can still see them hanging in my mom's kitchen!

craftydill said...

these are really cute!

Rhinestone Beagle said...

We did our wedding guestbook in a similar way. We had a tree drawn and each of the guests put their fingerprint as a leaf for a signature. FYI we gave you an award. Come check it out.

aStarToSteerHerBy said...

I absolutely love this!!! so very cute!

Chelsy@ Sweet Pea Kisses said...

So stinkin cute! I can't wait to try this, thanks for sharing!

amanda j said...

How did anyone survive childhood without Ed Emberley!? Thanks for the adorable tutorial!

Kathryn Michelle Jenkins said...

such a great idea for a card! I love those. thanks for the tutorial too. it always helps seeing pictures.

new follower!
kathryn
www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

Kristen @ ladybug-blessings.com said...

I can't get over how cute these are! I am going to feature them on Handmade Features for Handmade Tuesdays, come grab a button if you would like :) And thanks so much for sharing @ Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings www.ladybug-blessings.com.

Cat said...

These are adorable! I want to make my own bunnies and chickies now. Thanks for sharing.

SmileMonsters said...

So cute! We love his books. We have that same one! I'd love for you to link up at Fun For Kids Friday.

http://smilemonsters.blogspot.com/2011/04/fun-for-kids-friday_21.html

Jo @ SmileMonsters

radn said...

Those make really great placecards! Sweet and simple!

http://houseonashwelllane.blogspot.com/

Erin at moliorfamiliae said...

Thank you for the inspiration! I'd love for you to stop by and see how ours turned out: http://moliorfamiliae.blogspot.com/2011/04/easter-run-down.html
Erin

Nicole @ The Wonderful World of Wohler said...

These are the cutest! Thanks for sharing!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

Those chicks are SO CUTE. great project!! Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday!! Hope to see ya again this week :)

Jen said...

Super cute and easy! This is great! Thanks for sharing this at Fantastic Friday!

Tami said...

Just stopping by to let you know that I've featured your craft on Family Fun Crafts! You can see it here:
http://funfamilycrafts.com/hoppy-easter-fingerprint-bunnies-chicks/


If you have other kid friendly crafts, I'd love it if you would submit them. :) If you would like to display a
featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

Daily Dose of Handmade said...

This is so cute! I need to try this with my little ones!

Jennie said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful idea! I absolutely love making handprint & footprint art with my kids, & since our third baby was born just 5 days before Easter, I wanted something that would be pretty quick & easy to make for Daddy & the grandparents. I love this idea!!! Newborns have that reflex to close their fists right away, so I knew making something with handprints would be a challenge. This was absolutely perfect! I know Daddy & the grandparents are going to love this! Our 3-year old & 2-year old loved making these (our newborn tolerated it!).

storybeader said...

These are adorable! We'll always know which ones you did! :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm extremely impressed along with your writing talents and also with the layout to your blog. Is that this a paid subject matter or did you customize it your self? Anyway stay up the excellent quality writing, it is uncommon to see a nice blog like this one nowadays..
my page - Boergertimes.Org

Anonymous said...

WOW just what I was looking for. Came here
by searching for weightloss clinic
Review my web page ... throughout

Anonymous said...

Can I simply say what a relief to discover someone who
actually knows what they're discussing over the internet. You actually know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More and more people need to look at this and understand this side of your story. It's surprising you are
not more popular given that you definitely have the gift.
cellulite treatment
My web site > cellulite cream

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...