Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Things to Make: Indian Corn Magnets




I'm back! Yay! My craft fair went well...whew! Glad it's done! (Now I have to prep for the next on in a few weeks!)

I thought I'd do a little Thanksgiving craft today! This is one I got from Parent's magazine a few years back! It was really fun to do with the kids, and really easy! (If you're interested here's a link to the article from the magazine!)

Supplies needed:

Kid-friendly scissors
12-inch chenille stem
11mm tri-beads in red, gold, orange, and clear
Raffia
Tacky glue (or hot glue gun)
Small round magnet

"Cut the chenille stem in half and form an X. Wrap one stem around the center of the X twice, leaving a short length of the stem. Bend the three remaining stems to form an Indian corn shape." (It looks kinda like a little tripod for a camera!) Sorry I forgot to take pics of this part! Ooops!

"String beads on each of the three long stems, alternating colors. Bend the end of each stem to secure." I put a little dot of hot glue at the end to hold the beads in place better. Then I looped the 'stem' back over itself so I'd have a place to tie the raffia to.



"Knot a piece of raffia around the short stem. Glue a magnet to the back." Again...I hot glued the raffia and magnet to the back to make it a little more secure...this, of course, has to be done by an adult, but the funnest part for the kids is putting the beads on anyway...so they didn't care if I did the 'hard' parts! ;)


These would make cute party favors or Thanksgiving gifts to neighbors! Have fun!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic