Friday, November 5, 2010

Feature Friday: Cowls


So today my Feature Friday is all about cowls.

They're everywhere. Really.

Until a year ago I didn't even know such things existed! (I mean...I did...but I didn't know there was a fashion trend surrounding them...I lead a sheltered life.)

If you're like I was then you may be asking yourself ,"What on earth is a cowl, anyway?"

Well, here you go (taken from Wikipedia):

"The cowl (from the Latin, cuculla meaning "hood and rope") is a hood worn by members of religious orders. It also refers to a long, hooded cloak, with wide sleeves, worn by some Catholic and Orthodox monks when participating in the liturgy. Developed in the Middle Ages, they became the formal garment for those in monastic life. They were worn to give warmth to people who often spent long hours in unheated and drafty churches."

Nowadays, however, cowls are usually a tubular scarf-like accessory, sometimes including a hood, which is worn around the neck to keep one warm, and trendy, during cold fall and winter months.

So here a few of my favorites from Etsy! (Click on the titles to see the shop listings for these items! And don't you just love how artsy the pics are!?! I know!)


Here's a nice hooded one, called Chunky Cowl in Oatmeal, by flutterbyhannah.



Here's one for guys, called Men's Crochet Wool Circle Scarf/Cowl, from mbgdesigns.



Here's a fabulous cotton one, called The Organic Cowl, by AnaidDesigns.



SO...I decided to try my hand at making one of these fashionable, trendy scarves using some fantastic yarn my friend gave me for my birthday! It's super soft, is this amazing mossy green color, and has a mohair look...without the itch...and it's washable! LOVE.

So this is what I made! It's a really simple mesh-style cowl. The yarn is stretchy enough that if you have a small head...like me...you can double it up, or wear it loose! It was surprisingly warm, even though it has a sort of open pattern, too! I've simply called it Chunky Mossy Green Cowl!



If you're into crochet or knit, I'm sure you can come up with some fun cowls this season, too! Feel free to share any links in the comments!


Image and video hosting by TinyPic