Friday, April 20, 2012

"Soul Searching..."


"Why am I doing what I'm doing?"


So this will maybe be kinda long-winded...and maybe a bit angsty (is that a word?)...but I've been wondering lately what I'm really doing with, and in relation to, my business and blog.  I've been floundering a bit with it all...Feeling overwhelmed for no really good reason.

I have all these ideas and projects swimming around in my head...and I'm not sure how to organize my thoughts and activities.

And today I could finally put into the words the feelings I was having:

There are a lot of people out there doing what I do...and they're doing it better than I am.

Yeah.  I know.  Such a HUGE revelation, right.


Pardon my sarcasm.


I've been trying to figure out why I'm doing what I'm doing.  And being able to pinpoint the feelings I've been having has made me question a few things.

Like: "Is what I'm doing useful?"  "Is it needed or necessary?"  "Does it matter if it is...or isn't?"

And I can honestly say that I don't really know the answers to those questions yet...


I do know that I like being creative...I like being a mom...I like being a wife...I like to crochet, and blog, and, sew, and doing fun things with my kids...I like being me...

And being true my ever-changing self is something I need to continue to work on. are a couple of quotes that have been helping see my potential and want to work harder to figure out why I do what I do.

So...I'm trying some new things and stretching and learning some things about myself...And I'll keep doing a little soul searching and keep you updated!


Lauren @ The Well Crafted Home said...

Hey! I just wanted to say thank you so much for posting this! I have been feeling a little bit that way about my blog as well as I have been starting out and its nice to know I'm not alone. I really like the quote about comparison being the theif of joy. It is so important to understand that you can't compare your situation to others! Thanks for the inspiration! Just what I needed at the perfect moment!

quilt happy said...

hey you are doing great we all love you

Georgene Lockwood said...

I think this happens to all of us now and again. I'm in a bit of a funk myself the past couple of weeks. What I'm grateful for is that YOU said it! Made me feel less alone with it. I especially liked the quote about making beautiful things even if no one cares. Yes, I want to sell stuff. Yes, I want people to like what I make. But in the end I need to create, even if I don't sell it and other people don't necessarily like it. Maybe all I did was learn from it, but nothing is wasted. The worst thing is to stop creating because we're second guessing ourselves. This, too, shall pass .

Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

I just wanted to say that I really enjoy your blog and I think you are incredibly brave to put out there what I'm sure many(MANY!) of us are feeling as well. I know that my blog isn't the MOST awesomest blog out there but I enjoy what I do and I think that's what is important. I love your quotes that you included and they are great reminders for me right now. I hope you have a great weekend and keep on soul searching girl!

tintocktap said...

I got to a similar point at the start of the month and am now on a blogging break to get my head straight and to stop trying to do and be everything at once.

I also realised that a very important word was missing from my online world - learning - as life for me is a learning journey. When I come back, I want to make more of it - both for my own learning and in encouraging other people to learn.

Vivy Nogueira said...

Puxa Sara, sinto por estar passando por essa fase já que o seu trabalho é tão inspirador e bonito.
Se você sente realização com o que faz, sente prazer com o tempo dedicado ao seu trabalho, penso que é o melhor termômetro para nos dizer se está no caminho certo. Com o tempo, passamos a aprender novas técninas, e conhecer outras pessoas com trabalhos diferentes e que nos possibilita crescer juntos. Estou aprendendo tantas coisas com você!
Mas também penso passar por essa fase é importante para refletimos o que queremos e como poderemos seguir adiante. Respire fundo, dê tempo ao tempo, e tente não se cobrar tanto pois sua arte é encantadora e inspiradora para todos nós, ok?
Beijos e bom fim de semana para você e sua família!


Luna said...

Personally I have to be greatful with you and your blog.I have been meeting new people,new fiends and new projects that they kindly offering and posting for free with all their love.
This is a very , very good way to communicate with so many people from all around the world.On my head ,I´m thinking you are making a different with arts and crafts ideas and projects.May be for you it can be a little more work to do ...understanding you have a family and a job to go everyday and may be a short time to do everything.We all have days like that.But NO , No are doing a great job.
I´ll always appreciate the opportunity you have offer to me to come and start hosting in this beautiful blog.
If you are thinking it is to much right now , may be you can do this, the hosting twice a month.I have days like that.Don´t feel bad.You are awesome.
Best wishes ,

Xo,Xo,Xo...........:0) ...Luna !

Plummy Mummy said...

Oh the irony. I've been feeling like this for a while and was so sad that I couldn't even crochet a simple flower for the hats I've been making. I came to your blog which usually cheers me up but compared to you, my blog and creative efforts are so amateur. But then your post yesterday had that link to the baby headband and voila 1 hour later my 4 year old is running around with a pretty headband with two lovely flowers.
So I for one am glad your blog exists and even if it has strayed from what you wanted it to be, if it indeed has, I am a happy flower crocheter now thanks to you.
And I just love those quotes particularly the Roosevelt one.

MGB said...

Thanks for your honesty post, very recognizable.
And thanks for the great quotes too, I pinned a few.

Greetings from Holland,


Amy said...

Have you wondered how many people see your beautiful items and compare themselves to you? I have been a huge admirer of your work for a long time and think make such lovely things. And I am SO guilty of having the same feelings, especially when I see how many of us there are doing the same things and so many doing it so much better. But it comes down to the one quote you listed about making beautiful things even if no one cares. I think we have to do the things we love more for ourselves than anyone else. And hey, if people buy our stuff, that's even better:D

ElisabethAndrée said...

Recognizable Sarah! The last few weeks I think to stop blogging and just enjoy crocheting without having to write about it and to show it to the "world". For you: do not doubt your talents, because you're good at what you do!
Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Sorry I'm a little slow in commenting. I have another reason you should keep doing what you're doing:

I believe we all have the potential to become gods and goddesses one day, in which case we will be creating worlds without number. I believe everyone has a divine inclination to create things, whether that be crocheting, blogs, friendships, businesses, clean houses, writing books, cooking, forging ionic bonds, etc. The way YOU create things (which I think you're amazing at, by the way), ultimately helps you to become a better creator. And since we're all on different levels, there's no need to compare. I especially love your Theodore Roosevelt quote.

Keep doing what you're doing! You're incredible! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...