Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Ready or Not...Here's 2012!

So, you may be getting tired of hearing what everyone has resolved to do this year...but I'm about to add my two cents...just a little heads up.

The Anderkids
Last year, in this post, I shared some of my goals for the year.

Well...

Here's what actually happened:  I didn't take it easy.  It was a crazy year for us.  I was having a baby.  My hubby was working as a half-time school teacher...and supporting a family of six with one more on the way isn't easy.

At the beginning of last year I decided that I would try a little experiment.  I buckled down and made blogging a priority.  I posted at least three times a week.  I linked up and networked with other sites.  I interacted and commented.  And guess what?  It worked.  Big time.

My blog and business grew!  I went from 45 followers to 865 and from just 1000 page views to over 300,000.  I went from just 60 orders in 2010 to over 260 in 2011...CRAZY!  Seriously.  I know.  My mind is a little boggled by it, too!

I was VERY busy.  Yes, I loved doing it!   But, it didn't come without some HARD work and a lot of persistence.  I completely re-designed my blog FOUR TIMES!  I edited thousands of pictures.  I wrote, tested and re-wrote several patterns.  I hosted giveaways, sales, and guest posted on other blogs.

Not that this busy year hasn't been a HUGE blessing for our family!  I feel so blessed that I've been able to stay at home with my children AND that my business was able to help support our family!
I have also loved getting to know so many wonderful and creative crafters, crocheters, and people!  Thanks so much for making this journey so much fun!!  I wouldn't be here without YOU!

However...I hate to admit it, but sometimes I worked on these things at the cost/neglect of other things that are important to me...like housework...and meal preparation...and showering...and my family.

So...my biggest dilemma in making goals for this coming year has been...where do I go from here?

After a lot of prayer and thought, I've realized something:

I've discovered that blogging and running my business really do matter to me, and I want to continue the relationships I have formed this past year!  I'm just not going to be as structured in my approach to things...I'm going to take a break if I need it...and not worry about pushing so hard for success...don't worry...I'm sure I'll still be here OFTEN...but...

This year I really want to just SIMPLIFY, AND FOCUS ON THE THINGS THAT MATTER MOST.

I'm going to enjoy the little successes I have everyday; whether it's finishing a new pattern, making a great sale, or watching my baby crawl for the first time.

And I feel peace about that.

I loved this message, from LDS.org, about slowing down and paying attention to the Moments that Matter Most...I hope you will, too!



I look forward to this year, and all of the unexpected joys and trials that this year will surely bring.  Thanks for being a part of my life!

The REAL Anderkids

12 comments:

Rachel said...

I LOVE your family pictures! What a bunch of cuties! And you're a smart lady, you are. Priorities matter, and good for you for knowing what is worth prioritizing.

JayNic Knit Knacks said...

what a very uplifting and positive post.
I only recently discovered your blog but i love it. I recently made your heart garland and am so pleased with it- have a look: http://jaynicknitknacks.blogspot.com/2011/12/festive-fos.html
Thanks for all your inspiration and happy new year
x

ahmaymet said...

>_____________________________<
big smile for your post,
really giving me positive energy :)

Lori said...

Fantastic post, fantastic pictures, fantastic video, and fantastic blog....LOVE it :)

Andrea said...

Sarah, your pictures are so cute!!! Your family makes me smile. :) (and LOVE the green headband;))

You're so super talented and I love reading your blog. I'll speak for myself and all your followers and let you know that we'll all be here whenever you are!!!

SWEET YARNS said...

Beautiful Family!! GOD BLESS!

jennifer said...

You have a lovely family! I also think your plan for 2012 is great. It's so nice to just take breaks from blogging and breathe for a while :) My breaks tend to last much longer than I plan, haha.

Little Treasures said...

Sarah,
this is a fabulous post, immensely inspirational!
I wish you a year filled with wonders!
Maya

Cindy B said...

Thanks for the post! I'm struggling with a brand new blog and asking myself, "Is this really worth it? Am I going to see any results?" Granted, I'm past the baby stage and into the teenagers, but my family keeps me PLENTY busy. I'm always glad to read another perspective. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

Cozy said...

I have been following your blog for awhile.I was so surprised when I saw your family picture and recognized your husband. I was "the computer lady" for 16 years at a school your hubby taught at. I left in 2006, the year the school was closed to build a new one. Tell him I said hello.

AbigailDawn said...

How fabulous that you've got a pattern for the Matryoshka Doll now!! I just blogged about it. :) http://girlsrunthisshow.blogspot.com/2012/01/fabulous-make-your-own-matryoshka.html

Michelle Neddo said...

First, what a beautiful family you have! Thanks for sharing your story. I love hearing about people's success with their homegrown business. Congrats! But you are right, it takes a lot of work and is sometimes hard to strike a balance. Best wishes to you in 2012!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...